Learn to Say Goodbye to Signs of Aging
Jowls are loose, sagging skin around the jawline. As we get older, the collagen that lends our skin elasticity and keeps it resilient decreases. Gradually, we see softer, less distinct contours in the face and neck. When this is compounded by the effects of gravity, we see drooping, sagging skin. Thankfully, today’s technology allows patients to subtract years from their appearance.
Interested patients looking to refresh their image can turn to Dr. Joshua Korman for their anti-aging needs. He offers Silicon Valley a modern, relaxed environment that provides solutions for any cosmetic or reconstructive need. Arrange for a consultation with us by calling:
All About Jowls
Many people consider a well-defined neck and jawline essential for beauty and attractiveness. However, for many, the inevitable aging process creates the appearance of jowls. As time goes by, changes occur to our bone, muscle, and skin structures.  Collagen and skin elasticity decline. Fine lines and wrinkles gradually come into view, and the distribution of fat around our faces shifts.  Our face’s youthful structure is provided by several individual compartments of fat, which begin to atrophy and succumb to the effects of gravity. Loss of volume and descending fat creates the sagging along the jawline, while hormonal shifts lead to more fat being stored under the chin.
Main Causes of Jowls
- Sun damage: Spending long hours in the sun without sunblock can allow UV rays to damage collagen and elastin fibers.
- Genetics: Most people, to some degree, will develop jowls as they age. However, if your parents experienced the formation of jowls as they aged, you’re likely to do the same. 
- Significant Weight Loss: Dramatic weight loss helps people make transformative changes in their life. Unfortunately, eliminating fat in the face can cause excess, sagging skin.
But don’t worry! Luckily, modern advances in technology have paved the way for various surgical and non-surgical methods to treat jowls. Each has its own unique set of benefits and in the hands of a trained plastic surgeon, there is a solution that can effectively treat your unique case.
Your Surgical Options
A facelift is a comprehensive way to address loose skin and volume loss, including jowls. Dr. Korman begins by making incisions that encircle each ear and extend into the hairline. After he lifts the facial skin away from the underlying tissue, he will adjust the tissues to create a rejuvenated structure. The skin is then redraped, and excess skin is removed to eliminate sagging.
A neck lift concentrates on eliminating a “turkey-neck” appearance. First, a concealable incision under the chin and or an S-shaped incision is made behind the ears. Once Dr. Korman has access to the underlying tissue, he can tighten loose muscles, eliminate fat deposits under the chin, and smooth the overlying skin of the neck. He may also utilize liposuction to suction obstinate pockets of fat.
A MAC Lift is a condensed version of a facelift that targets the mid and lower face region. After small incisions are made in the front of the ears, underlying tissues are tightened, and the remaining skin will be carefully redraped to fix wrinkles and skin laxity in the jawline.
Liposuction is a highly versatile treatment that improves the definition of the neck and chin. A slender cannula allows Dr. Korman to vacuum away pesky fat deposits using tiny, discreet incisions, and patients can enjoy enhanced contours. Dr. Korman is pleased to offer three unique variations of the treatment:
- Suction-assisted liposuction: In this standard treatment, tumescent fluid is injected to aid the fat removal process.
- VASER liposuction: Employs ultrasound energy to agitate fat cells.
- SmartLipo liposuction: This treatment utilizes laser energy to melt fat and simultaneously increases collagen to firm the skin’s surface.
Your Non-Surgical Options
This treatment applies high-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) energy to stimulate collagen in the face and neck. In the end, the treatment produced a lifting effect on the face, neck, and chin.
This innovative treatment involves placing radiofrequency energy in the deepest layers of the facial tissue.  The energy from the device enhances collagen production while producing an immediate tightening effect on the skin in the lower face, neck, and jowls.
Dr. Korman combines microneedling with Platelet Rich Plasma to firm up the skin. When our technician applies the Eclipse MicroPen to the face, the device creates microchannels in the skin. The body responds as if an injury has occurred, and growth factors begin to repair the damaged tissue. At the same time, the revitalizing platelet-rich plasma penetrates through these channels, where it will help facilitate collagen and elastin production, leaving you with firmer, youthful contours.
NOVA Thread Lift
NOVA Thread Lifts create subtle lifting by inserting dissolvable, sugar-based PDO sutures under the skin. Once placed, the sutures lift and tighten sagging tissue, while also activating collagen production. As a result, patients will see an immediate tightening effect on the face and neck, as well as lasting improvements.
We have a diverse array of injectable treatments to dramatically improve skin’s texture. We offer dermal filler that can restore volume to plump and firm the skin. Then, there are neuromodulators that temporarily inhibit the facial muscle movements that cause lines and wrinkles.
Ideal Candidates for Jowl Contouring
If you’re concerned by a tired, aged facial appearance caused by jowls, then a surgical or non-surgical enhancement will help! The best way to find out if you’re eligible for treatment is to schedule a consultation with us. Ideal candidates are:
- Healthy men and women over 18 wanting to obtain a youthful facial appearance
- Prepared to quit smoking until the recovery period ends
- Comfortable with making revisions to the neck and chin with a cosmetic treatment
- Committed to gaining natural-looking results
Your Consultation with Dr. Korman
Once inside our ultra-modern office, you’ll meet with Dr. Joshua Korman, a compassionate plastic surgeon dedicated to providing the best results. After discussing your aesthetic goals, we’ll evaluate your skin condition and explain the best options for your case. We’re pleased to provide patients with non-surgical treatments to address minor to moderate cases of jowling. These treatments are a suitable solution for those not yet ready for surgery. On the other hand, patients can reap significant, long-term benefits with a surgical enhancement such as a facelift.
If you’re ready to turn back the clock and gain optimized contours for the face and neck, call our offices today at (650) 254-1200 (Mountain View); (831) 656-9331 (Carmel-by-the-Sea); or (408) 831-6229 (San Jose) and schedule an appointment.
How to Make Your Appointment Run Smoothly
Toward the end of your appointment, our office will provide you with personalized instructions to follow between now and your treatment date. Korman Plastic Surgery will advise you to take care of:
Non-Surgical and Surgical Patients
- Medication: Stop taking certain medications such as blood thinners and NSAIDs, which may cause unnecessary bleeding.
- Prescriptions: Pick up the prescribed antibiotics and pain medication from your local pharmacy.
- Arrange time off from work: Depending on your procedure, you may need to take off a week or two to recover.
- Ride Home: Arrange to have a loved one or trusted friend take you home after surgery.
- Fasting: Follow instructions to ensure that you’re ready for anesthesia.
Recovery and Results
Your recovery timeline will all depend on the specifics of your treatment. Non-surgical patients can expect a quick recovery within 1-2 days. You can minimize minor soreness and swelling with drug store pain relievers and applying an ice pack to the area.
Surgical patients will have a slightly longer recovery period. So, please get plenty of rest and follow the post-recovery instructions provided by the office. You may experience some discomfort, swelling, and bruising for the first few days, but the medications will help. Within three months of your surgery, you should be able to experience the full effects of renewed contours to the neck, chin, and cheeks.
Cost of Jowl Contouring Treatment in Northern California
- Wan D, Amirlak B, Rohrich R, Davis K. The Clinical Importance of the Fat Compartments in Midfacial Aging. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Global Open. 2014;1(9). doi:10.1097/GOX.0000000000000035
- Baumann L, Shridharani SM, Humphrey S, Gallagher CJ. Personal (Self) Perceptions of Submental Fat Among Adults in the United States. Dermatologic Surgery. 2019;45(1):124-130. doi:10.1097/dss.0000000000001648
- Hodgkinson, D. J. (2009). Clinical Applications of Radiofrequency: Nonsurgical Skin Tightening (Thermage). Clinics in Plastic Surgery, 36(2), 261–268. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cps.2008.11.006