Ultherapy® is the brand name for an FDA-approved non-invasive facelift. It is the only FDA-approved cosmetic procedure of its kind. This procedure lifts the neck, chin, and brow and treats lines and wrinkles on the upper chest. It also stimulates the patient’s production of collagen and elastin, two of the skin’s key ingredients in fighting the effects of aging. It’s also known as high-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU). Studies have shown that Ultherapy® provides adequately good results for a patient with mild-to-moderate skin and soft tissue laxity.
Patients wanting to pursue Ultherapy® should schedule a consultation with Dr. Joshua Korman, or they may call 408-831-6229 for our San Jose office, 831-656-9331 for our Carmel-by-the-Sea office, or 650-254-1200 for our Mountain View office.
Continue reading to learn more about Ultherapy® and see if it’s the right solution for you.
HIFU uses non-ionizing ultrasonic waves to heat and gradually remove tissue cells. Treatment is combined with focused imaging techniques to allow precise guidance and monitoring. Acoustic lenses (basically high-frequency loudspeakers) are used to achieve the proper intensity at the targeted area without damaging the surrounding tissue. Besides its cosmetic applications, HIFU can treat neurological disorders, cancers, enlarged prostates, palliative care, uterine adenomyosis, and fibroids.
- The FDA cleared Ultherapy® for facial applications in 2009.
- This treatment uses ultrasonic waves. No needles or incisions are necessary.
- Works on Dark Skin
- Unlike laser procedures, Ultherapy is safe for use on darker skin with no risk of discoloration.
- Ultrasound imaging techniques allow the doctor to see the lower layers of the skin, granting them the ability to target the areas that need the most improvement precisely.
- Treatment is non-invasive and does not require anesthesia or surgery, taking up to fifteen to twenty minutes to complete.
- No Downtime
- Patients can resume daily activities almost immediately following treatment.
- Natural-Looking Results
- Results from Ultherapy gradually come about within the first month following treatment. Outcomes usually emerge three to six months following treatment. The gradual results mean there’s no startling reveal that tells everyone the patient has had work done.
- Ultherapy® can leave visible improvements for up to a year or two before needing a refresh.
- Reduction of Aging Effects
- Because treatment jumpstarts the skin’s natural collagen-producing systems, it essentially pauses the skin’s aging process in treated areas.
The ideal candidate for Ultherapy® is somebody who has loose skin under the neck and chin and lines and wrinkles on the chest. Candidates are usually in their 30s or older and have mild to moderate skin looseness. Treatment is ideal for patients with sensitive skin who do not wish to undergo surgery.
If you’d like to address your questions, concerns, and comments with Dr. Korman, please contact us today for a free consultation. Consultations are offered at any of our three convenient locations serving the areas of San Jose, Palo Alto, Mountain View, Carmel, and Monterey, CA.
Patients will require minimal preparation for this process and can maintain regular eating, drinking, exercise, and work routines before their procedure.
Before treatment, patients should remove all makeup and skincare products from the areas to be treated. Patients may take pain-reducing or anti-inflammatory medications beforehand if instructed by their doctor.
First, Dr. Korman will clean the areas to be treated, and then he will apply an ultrasound gel. He will place the Ultherapy® wand against the skin and adjust the settings according to what he sees on the ultrasound viewer. Ultrasound energy is then directed at the area. Patients will experience occasional sensations of heat or tingling.
Treatments, in general, take about 90 minutes. Treatment of the chest can take 30 minutes, whereas the neck and face areas range from 60 to 90 minutes.
There is generally little to no downtime related to Ultherapy®. Daily activities and exercise can be resumed immediately afterward. Most side effects resolve spontaneously.
The skin may appear red or flushed at first, but that typically dissipates within a few hours. Depending on their collagen-producing capabilities, patients will start to notice results within a few days. Improvements will steadily continue for up to three months, with lasting effects as long as the patient’s body continues to produce new collagen until the aging process takes over again. From there, a patient can decide if additional treatments are necessary.
Studies have shown that combining aesthetic interventions targeting different instances of aging leads to better results. By combining treatments, physicians can tailor the treatment to satisfy specific patient concerns more effectively and efficiently.
Due to HIFU’s proven safety, patients can receive additional treatments such as:
- Laser skin resurfacing to help improve texture, elasticity, and color
- Microneedling to improve acne scars, fine lines, and texture
- Juvederm, fat injections, or Bellafill to improve volume
- CoolSculpting for stubborn fatty areas
The cost of this innovative procedure can vary depending on the size of the target area. To assess the cost of Ultherapy® treatment, schedule a consultation with Dr. Korman at his Mountain View facility.
Check out our blog to stay informed about new procedures, policy updates, news items, and advice.
Ultherapy® is an FDA-approved non-invasive facelift that can also be referred to as high-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU).
Unlike most treatments, which deal with the skin’s surface, Ultherapy® is the first and only treatment to reach the skin’s deep infrastructure without incisions.
Ultherapy® can treat the face, eyebrows, neck, jowls, chest, and under the chin.
The ideal candidate for Ultherapy® has mild to moderate skin looseness and wrinkles around the face, neck, chin, or chest.
Yes, Ultherapy® is safe. It is FDA-approved and has a proven, well-established track record.
Comfort levels vary from person to person, but patients may feel a tingling or mild burning sensation during treatment.
A single Ultherapy® session can last up to 90 minutes.
Collagen is an essential protein found in the body’s connective tissues of the tendons, ligaments, skin, and muscles. It keeps the skin firm and toned. As we age, we tend to lose our collagen, causing lines and wrinkles.
Ultherapy® uses the high-intensity focused ultrasound to create a thermal reaction under the skin, which essentially fires up the body’s collagen-producing processes, creating fresh, new collagen.
Results vary from person to person. The patient’s natural aging processes determine how long the effects will last. Generally, results appear over two to three months, and last up to a year or more.
Mild side effects can include swelling, redness, soreness, bruising, numbness, or tingling. Treated areas might become flushed or red in the hours following the procedure.
No. Ultherapy® is non-invasive and requires no downtime or post-treatment care. Patients can resume daily activities immediately. Treatment offers a lot of flexibility for patients with busy schedules.
Most patients need only one treatment. However, depending on the patient’s skin elasticity, they may need more than one session. Some patients schedule annual treatments to sustain their results.
- Shome, D., Vadera, S., Ram, M. S., Khare, S., & Kapoor, R. (2019). Use of Micro-focused Ultrasound for Skin Tightening of Mid and Lower Face. Plastic and reconstructive surgery. Global open, 7(12), e2498. https://doi.org/10.1097/GOX.0000000000002498
- Arié Azuelos, MD, Mounia SidAhmed-Mezi, PhD, Simone La Padula, MD, Celine Aboud, MD, Jean-Paul Meningaud, MD, PhD, Barbara Hersant, MD, PhD, High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound: A Satisfactory Noninvasive Procedure for Neck Rejuvenation, Aesthetic Surgery Journal, Volume 39, Issue 8, August 2019, Pages NP343–NP351, https://doi.org/10.1093/asj/sjz093
- Hitchcock, T.M. and Dobke, M.K. (2014), Review of the safety profile for microfocused ultrasound with visualization. J Cosmet Dermatol, 13: 329-335. https://doi.org/10.1111/jocd.12111
- Carruthers, Jean MD, FRCSC; Burgess, Cheryl MD, FAAD; Day, Doris MD; Fabi, Sabrina G. MD; Goldie, Kate MD; Kerscher, Martina MD; Nikolis, Andreas MD, MSc, FRCSC; Pavicic, Tatjana MD; Rho, Nark-Kyoung MD; Rzany, Berthold MD, ScM; Sattler, Gerhard MD; Sattler, Sonja MD; Seo, Kyle MD; Werschler, William Philip MD; Carruthers, Alastair MD, FRCPC Consensus Recommendations for Combined Aesthetic Interventions in the Face Using Botulinum Toxin, Fillers, and Energy-Based Devices, Dermatologic Surgery: May 2016 – Volume 42 – Issue 5 – p 586-597 doi: 10.1097/DSS.0000000000000754
- Jerdan, K., Fabi, S.G. A Combination Approach with Lasers, Light, and Energy-Based Devices for Ultimate Rejuvenation of the Aging Face. Curr Derm Rep 5, 208–216 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1007/s13671-016-0150-9